21 Jul 2009

Petty frustrations

Why do people have to invent extra procedures where they just are not required? I've just been informed that in order to pay my suppliers, I can't just fill in the form that I used to fill in, I now have to type all of the same information in to an email, to someone who sits two desks away, so she can fill in the form for me.

Apparently the benefit is so that she can negotiate with suppliers on my behalf. So what's my job then? Just sitting back looking pretty? And secondly, no disrespect, but successful negotiation requires a knowledge of the services included in the contract, understanding which ones are of particular value, and why our particular set up means that the service provider should ask us for less cash. I'm afraid she just does-not-know this information about each and every department in the company.

Finding people jobs to do in a downturn is all very well, but we're going to head out of this downturn with lots of people who do hardly anything for a living and think that this is the way things should be. I don't want my role diminished, and I'm sorry, but if my role is redundant to the company, then I'd rather be made redundant than given some ridiculous timewasting crap to do in order to keep me on the pay-roll.

On second thoughts, I'd probably take that back if I was actually made redundant. But I'd like to think I'd say "sod it" and head off to Thailand to become a dive instructor, before regrouping and getting my career back on track.

Why we have to carry these people is beyond me.
Grrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment